What do you need to know about the Server Maintenance Services;
Server Maintenance Services is process to keep updated your server & network and ensure that organization’s computer network running smoothly. In this modern world technology is getting very vast. Every department like Banks, Courts, government Offices are digitalization of their data using advanced equipments available in the market. It is just to make data easily available, at any corner of the world. Even it Is not easy to maintain the papers for a long time and a risk for data loss is always there. Using computer, Computer Networks and servers, the data can be safe for unlimited time and it also acquires less space to keep that amount of data in servers in compare with papers.
There are two types of Network approaches in the market.
- Workgroup (Peer to Peer):-In this approach every computer in an network has equal rights, its called a De-centralized network.
- Domain (Client/Server):- It is called a Centralized network, where one computer has special permissions and all the services are installed on the same computer like DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, IIS etc. and other computers work under this computer. The main computer is called a Server and the other computers are called clients.
Server works on Many OS platforms like Windows Servers, Linux Servers, Unix Servers etc. In today’s time there are servers of many types which are given below:-
Proxy Server, Mail Server, Web Server, Application Server, FTP Server etc.
Network and Servers are the services which need to be monitored on daily, weekly and monthly basis. These require a timely preventive maintenance time to time to keep them up and running. Simple server maintenance services and monitoring can prevent a server environment failure from turning into a server disaster. So Here goes some Server Maintenance Service Tips given below:-
- Check Data Backup: – Before doing any activity to your data, just confirm that your backup are working or not. Firstly check the connectivity of your server to the computer network by using ping and other commands. You need to run some test recoveries if you are going to delete your important data from a machine. While focused on data backup just make sure that the drive selected for data backup is right or not. If your servers are kept at remote sites or on cloud, and you are not able to connect to your servers then you should talk to the internet service providers to resolve the issue immediately.
- Update Your OS and Install Patches: –System administrator should update the servers if any update is available from the vendor for that specific model, but he should keep in mind the compatibility of apps with latest version. Linux systems release the updates very frequently .So it is not that easy to remain in touch with OS vendor to check the availability of a new version. So, we use an automated patch management tool which alerts us when a system is out of date. Try to automate update your servers or make a schedule to update them for later, It lowers the risk of attacks from hackers.
- Check Application Updates: –System administrator should update all the application including web applications installed at server time to time. Applications like Trend Micro office scan, IIS should be updated time to time for better performance of servers and keep them running for long time.
- Check CPU Utilization: – System administrator should check server’s hard disk, RAM and network utilization. If those are about to fully filled you should take an immediate action after the non working office hours to take a downtime and add a resource or migrate to a new one. For this you should install some monitoring tools to get updated about these issues.
- Check for hardware Issues: – It is important to find the root cause of issue, If you are not determined that which Category your problem fits into; otherwise you can waste hours of troubleshooting time. It seems like an OS problem may actually be hardware problems caused by a dying power supply. Sometimes best maintenance routine cannot properly prevent occasional hardware failures.
- Review user Accounts: – If your staff got changed, then you should delete the accounts made against those users identity. It can be risky to keep their accounts authorized to your network. Even according to policies it is mandatory to delete the client’s data after they have terminated services.
- Change Passwords: –Passwords should be changed time to time after every 45 days. Passwords should be kept long, which include special characters, capital alphabets and numbers. It should be changed when there is involvement of outsourcing parties in the process of management of servers.
- Check UPS (Uninterruptable power supply): – UPS power backups should be checked time to time. If any power failure takes place then UPS should be come into action and should not let the servers stop working, due to unavailability of power. UPS output power supply should be checked time to time so it should give dedicated amount of power. UPS Batteries should be replaced after few years by analyzing backup time they are providing.
- Network Security and Redundancy:- It is very important part in all the scenario. If your network is not secure your data is at risk. You must have antivirus installed on your system and moreover firewall security appliance which protect your network system from external threats should be installed and well managed. All sites which may cause virus to your network should be blocked.
The above tips are essential checkpoints of server maintenance services.
Network also provides equivalent importance to your server part. If any network switch goes through power failure then network goes down and your server will not respond and all your server maintenance services stop working. So to keeping that scenario in mind Network Administrator should keep redundancy in the network to avoid the connection failure to the highly critical devices like servers.
These days keeping Network and Server Security in mind all the organizations hire Engineers. Some Organizations give Annual Maintenance contract of their Network and Server equipments. Some organizations do contracts with vendors to rectify issues on call basis or monthly maintenance basis etc.